Friday 24 June 2011

Scenery

I sit behind a small bureau; the window I undo,
Bashful Brightness tiptoes through
He perches upon my face, warms my blood
And settles upon his place, he stifles a sigh
The bright eyes are questioning why?
I wilt and wither, I shake my head,
With the need to study what it is that is dead.
Yet Wistful Wind will not let it be so,
With Brazen Breeze she rattles my window
To give a tender tug towards the door
And so my studies will commence no more.
Out, out of the coop the little bird swoops
Into the crystal dome that surrounds the sky,
And so no higher can the little bird fly,
But with all that can be seen, what more can you desire?
When you have the beauty of wind, earth, water and fire?
For the sundrenched dew that litters our land
Are the sparkling gems that wet my hand,
The rainbows that prance across pools and lakes
Are routed by Ripple’s giggles as calm water breaks.
Towering nymphs that bathe in streams,
Their curls of emeralds stolen from Queens.
Picasso and Van Gogh, encased from our eyes
Must surely fight to colour our skies,
And after their small scuffle is done,
After a morning’s work has begun,
The ruckus persists, and a tin is tipped,
It falls, blotching our sky with a certain hue
Today they’ve spilled the brilliant blue.
But affluence comes with searching our land
Guzzling the gold of pebbles, seashells and sand.
Sunbeams that salsa between the cracks in leaves
Are all the riches we fools could need,
I feel there is no greater price one can pay
Than to be blind to earth on a sunlit day,
Or to be deaf when birdsong can be heard
Over all that is mechanical, artificial and absurd.
For I’ve never known such happiness in me
To swell so swiftly, when I see what I see,
And to be sourced by such simple scenery
Tells us, deities, that we do not need
To suffer from loathing, lust and greed.
So lift thine eyes from thy cobbled course,
Gawk, gape or gaze, just for a moment or two
See the small world slowly surpassing you,
It could take your breath, maybe pull you apart
Because for a world so beautiful, it breaks my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment